How to Make a Charcuterie Board
If you've ever wondered how to make a charcuterie board, ponder no longer! Charcuterie board setup can be anything you want it to be. However, there are some tried-and-true techniques that work for every effective cheese board setup.
Whatever your personal taste, we'll cover the gamut of how to set up a charcuterie board, from the savory to the sweet. We'll also discuss how the best cheese board setup can create the desired effect for your presentation.
Charcuterie Board Ideas: Choosing the Food TypesA typical cheese board includes a combination of food products that appeal to a variety of tastes. You'll typically see a selection of meats, cheeses and sweet treats. Choose the type of food based on the time of day the event is taking place. You can also theme your charcuterie board and select food types to support your theme.
What Kinds of Cheese Should You Include in a Charcuterie Board Setup?
Ideally, you'll want to select a variety of cheeses to cover the gamut of textures and tastes. Here are some popular cheese board ideas:
- Hard Cheese: Manchego and Vermont Cheddar are two popular varieties that will work beautifully on your cheese board.
- Soft Cheese: Brie is generally a must-have, and goat cheese is a wise choice – you can get creative by choosing flavors like blueberry or cranberry to make things more interesting.
- Spreadable Cheese: A soft cream cheese can be spread on crackers, fruits or veggies.
What Types of Meats Are Good for Charcuterie Boards?
If you're sticking to the basics, there are three types of meats you'll want to include in your cheese board setup. Frugal shoppers know the most affordable option is to buy a package at the supermarket that contains an assortment of all three of these:
If your cheese board will be sitting out for a prolonged period, make sure you choose meat that will hold up for the duration. This is why cured meats are a good choice for a charcuterie board setup.
What Types of Fruits and Veggies Go on a Cheese Board?
The best fruit for charcuterie boards is seasonal and easily managed with your fingers. Small bunches of grapes are ideal because they're neat and pair well with cheeses. Berries are also a good choice. You can slice fresh fruit like apples and pineapples or peel and section Mandarin oranges. Dried fruit is also a great option.
If you want to include vegetables, carrots, broccoli florets and sliced cucumber are a few terrific charcuterie board ideas. The best fruits and veggies are ready to eat – cherries may be tasty, but spitting out the pits in a social setting is definitely challenging.
Other Basics to Include in Cheese Board Setup
Most charcuterie boards have these items to complement their assortment of meats, cheeses and fruits:
- Crackers: With all the fancy varieties available, it's easy to add eye appeal and texture to your cheese board.
- Pickles & Olives: Green and kalamata olives (pitted, of course) are good choices, as are baby dills and gherkins.
- Dips & Spreads: Hummus, onion dip, fruit and nut spreads are just a few of the many possibilities for topping crackers, fruits or vegetables.
How to Set Up a Round Charcuterie Board for Visual Appeal
Whatever shape or size of charcuterie board you have, you'll want to maximize your space and ensure the appearance is appealing. Here are a few tips and tricks for how to set up a round charcuterie board in a visually stunning way:
- Fold/Roll Up Meats: Rolling up or folding your meats makes it easy for your guests to grab and go and also saves space. You may also choose to make salami roses for a lovely presentation.
- Cutting Cheese: Yes, there is a right and wrong way to cut cheese. By using the correct method for the types of cheeses you have, you can pile cheese cubes or alternate the direction of your wedges to make the best use of your space.
- Serving Suggestions: It's helpful (and eye appealing) to place foods together that complement one another. For example, you can scatter walnuts around your brie cheese or place apple slices next to caramel dip.
Smirly Knows How to Make a Charcuterie Board Amazing
Once you know how to make a charcuterie board, the sky's the limit on what you can use to make it uniquely yours. Whether you're choosing a charcuterie board gift or purchasing one for yourself, Smirly has all the options you need. Each of our charcuterie boards is beautifully crafted, responsibly sourced and designed to maximize eye appeal. Find the best charcuterie boards for entertaining at Smirly today!
Charcuterie Board Gift Basket Ideas If you're looking for a thoughtful, memorable present, we have charcuterie board gift basket ideas that provide the perfect solution. The possibilities for creating an amazing arrangement are practically endless, but we can help you get started with several tips for creating charcuterie board gift baskets.
How to Make a Charcuterie Board If you've ever wondered how to make a charcuterie board, ponder no longer! Charcuterie board setup can be anything you want it to be. However, there are some tried-and-true techniques that work for every effective cheese board setup.
How to Care for a Charcuterie Board There's no doubt you have plenty of charcuterie board ideas for entertaining – but before you start loading your board with goodies, make sure you've mastered how to care for a charcuterie board.